Sunday, May 25, 2008

Canso - day 2

Ok, so lots happened and I need to figure out how to put all of this down.

After a nice breakfast, we walked up to try to figure out which house was the one I was born in.  We figured out that it was one of two houses.  After further determination, we decided that it was the one and started taking lots pictures of it and me in front of the house.  After a few minutes, a woman came out of the house next door.  She asked if we were related somehow so I said that my parents had lived there a while back.  "Oh for goodness sake!" she said.  Turns out she totally remembered my parents and that we were taking pictures of the wrong house - it was one next door.
She invited us in and got us in touch with one of the women my mom remembered from back then.  We checked out the hospital that my dad helped open and was the first administrator for and got a quick tour of the old spots - their house again, the old hospital (a house, now a day-care center) and stopped in to see a few more old friends of my parents.   It was really cool to hear how much they not only remembered my parents but all the good things they had to say about them.  The first thing almost everyone we met said that I look just like my dad did then. 
Good stuff about how he was a great administrator.  Just cool.
It was funny to hear them also talk about how I was born at home.  This was totally bizarre at the time and quite a big deal in town.  No one could believe that my mom was actually choosing to have a baby at home. 
We made a quick stop at the building where the main Trans-Atlantic cable hit North America.  It's a cool old run-down brick building that was built in the 1800s sometime.   When they first moved to the area, my parents lived in the apartment building originally built for the telecom workers.

After a couple hour drive, we crossed the Canso Causeway into Cape Breton and on to Port Hawkesbury.

More soon.

No comments: